Note: This post is my weekly contribution to the Five Minute Friday community that is hosted by Kate Motaung on her blog Heading Home. Click here for
more information about Five Minute Friday and how you can get involved!
To link up with all the other entries for today's prompt word, click here.
****
![]() |
| (picture courtesy of Warner Brothers Pictures, quote added by me) |
So here I am again. It's time to write and well, honestly, the words aren't coming so much. I had a lot of thoughts kinda race through my head but not a single one of them seems to want to coalesce into something coherent. So here are a few thoughts on fear -- disjointed though they may be.
- Fear isn't always a bad thing. There is indeed such a thing as healthy fear. Healthy fear comes from God and can keep us out of trouble.
- Here's one of my favourite quotes about fear from Professor Remus Lupin in the book Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban:
"I didn't think of Voldemort," said Harry honestly. "I -- I remembered those dementors."
"I see," said Lupin thoughtfully. "Well, well . . . I'm impressed. That suggests what you fear most of all is -- fear. Very wise, Harry."
- Fear isn't the absence of strength. It isn't some kind of weakness. It is an acknowledgement that you are human and that life is scary sometimes.
- Fear can be paralyzing at times, especially when you are scared spitless and have absolutely no idea what to do. In those moments, the best thing to do is hit your knees and do your best to give it to God. Yeah, I know, not so easily done.
- Even the most fearless looking person has something they're afraid of -- heights, fire alarms, the number 13, the sight of blood, or becoming a parent for the first time. I was reminded of this while watching Deadliest Catch this week. One of the Northwestern's deck hands, Jake Anderson, got to meet his baby boy on this week's episode when his wife gave birth.
- Don't worry about your fears. Face them and in so doing, cultivate bravery. A very wise person once said to me that bravery isn't a lack of fear, but the strength to face your fears in spite of them. I like that a lot.
Until next week...
![]() |
| Join in the Five Minute Friday Fun and link up at Kate Motaung's blog! |


I like where you went here friend. I love that quote from Harry Potter too. Love ya friend!
ReplyDeleteThanks, my friend! :) Lupin is one of my favourite HP characters. He's so wise and seems to always see things for what they truly are. Love you too!
DeleteNice to meet you nearly neighbour on FMF :) Glad to find your blog. I just became Catholic this Easter, so I'll probably come back and browse a little another day. You get lots of points for the Harry Potter quote:)
ReplyDeleteNice to meet you too and WELCOME HOME! :) I'm a convert as well and celebrated 10 years this Easter. I write occasionally about faith (I'm working on a post about confession right now) in an apologetics/theological kind of way, but it's mostly just part of the conversation about my life and who I am. Another part of who I am is a Potterhead :) I'm such a fangirl! I look forward to getting to know you more!
DeleteYou're so right! Everybody has fears and bravery is strengthened by facing them rather than running away. Thank you so much for sharing!
ReplyDeleteBlessings, Elizabeth
@Blessed Beyond the Mess
Thank you for your kind comments!
DeleteExcellent! Just plain darn excellent.
ReplyDeleteHere from FMF, #6 (The Dog)
http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2015/06/your-dying-spouse-20-fear-of-death.html