“Life moves pretty fast. If you don't
stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”
–
Ferris Bueller
Indeed, life does move fast and it
hardly seems like two years have passed since I did my first Write 31Days series. I remember being rather daunted by the prospect of
writing every single day on a single topic, but felt like God was
pushing me to both write and to write about my struggles with mental
illness. That series was called 31 Days of Stumbling ThroughDepression and it was about my struggles with a particularly
difficult episode of depression. Had I known then what I know now, I
would have titled it a bit differently and changed the word
“depression” to either “PTSD” or “mental illness.”
At the end of that series, I had
intended to keep writing my story, but discovered that I needed a
break from it. Instead, I started writing other things about faith,
family, and life in general. The thing is though, that try as I
might, I couldn't get away from the subject of mental health or my
personal struggles. I took a pretty long break from writing a lot
about it, but eventually, with a mention of something here or a post
on a subject there, I kept writing about it in a roundabout sort of
way. My posts have been sporadic at best and not really much of a
story, except for the fact that much of the things I've written have
been pieces of my story.
I thought that I wanted to continue
where I left off two years ago with this year's series, but after
much discernment and looking at this year's Five Minute Friday Free
Write prompts for 31 Days, I decided to go in a different direction.
Part of my discernment about this included the fact that, as in the
last two years, I have a lot on my plate with staying on top of my
mental health, family life, and helping organise our local Out of the
Darkness Community Walk for Suicide Prevention.
To that end, instead of continuing my
personal story, I am going to use this year's FMF prompts to do a
series of reflections on mental health and illness. Each post will
feature the day's prompt word and a brief reflection on a mental
health or illness topic. Although I'm not going to really do these in
five minutes or actually as a free write, I want to keep them fairly
short and edit them as little as possible so as to keep with the
spirit of Five Minute Friday. Although this won't exactly be a
continuation of my story, I will be sharing pieces of it at times
along the way as well as sharing things I've learned through my
journey.
I hope that you will find these posts
to be helpful and educational in some way. Please feel free to leave
me comments and let me know if you found them helpful. I'd also love
to know your thoughts on these topics too! Most of all, my prayer is
that these posts will serve to bring light to the darkness and hope
for those who may be struggling (or watching a loved one struggle)
with mental illness. God bless you!

Love this idea friend!
ReplyDelete