When I was about 5 or 6 years old, I joined my first church choir and I was hooked. As the years progressed, I fell deeper in love with the music, but also the words. It helped that all of my choir directors were people who were deeply passionate about God and drawing His people closer to Him through music. My high school church choir director was our minister of music and singing under his direction was more than just a wonderful experience; it was a blessing. He inspired me to really internalize the words and then pour that back out through my voice as an offering to God. It is because he selected things like "The Majesty and Glory of Your Name" that I memorized more scripture and began to take my faith more seriously.
The first time I sang that anthem, the high school choir combined with the adult choir. I remember how my spirit soared with the notes and how it was then that I had my first honest to goodness moment where I felt the Presence of God in a real, tangible way. I was overwhelmed by the idea that God, the Creator of the Universe, who hung the moon in its orbit and the stars in their place could care for me -- tiny, insignificant, screwed up, 15 year old me. As the notes climbed higher and higher, I thought I might explode with joy and then in a moment, the sudden diminuendo quieted my ecstasy, but then invited me in to draw closer to He whose glorious majesty had breathed life into me. As the music faded, I held my breath, willing the moment to stay with me a bit longer.
It was the first time that my song had been more than just notes and words on the page. It was the first time my song was also my prayer. I didn't know anything about St. Augustine at the time, but I think that moment -- and many more like it in the years that followed -- is why when I heard this quote as a Catholic that it immediately resonated: "He who sings, prays twice."
Now that I've told you all about why I love this psalm so much, here's a video of a performance of the choral anthem "The Majesty and Glory of Your Name" by Tom Fettke. Won't you come listen and pray with me? I'm including the words below the video, so you can follow along if you like:
The Majesty and Glory of Your Name
Words based on Psalm 8 by Linda Lee Johnson
Music by Tom Fettke
When I gaze into the night skies and see the work of your fingers;
The moon and stars suspended in space.
Oh, what is man that you are mindful of him?
You have given man a crown of glory and honor,
And have made him a little lower than the angels.
You have put him in charge of all creation:
The beasts of the field, the birds of the air, The fish of the sea.
Oh, what is man? Oh, what is man that you are mindful of him?
O Lord, our God the majesty and glory of your name
Transcends the earth and fills the heavens.
O Lord, our God; little children praise You perfectly,
And so would we. And so would we.
Alleluia! Alleluia!
The majesty and glory of Your name.
Alleluia! Alleluia!
The majesty and glory of Your name.
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia! (Alleluia!)
Music is such a gift. Beautiful!
ReplyDelete