Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Of Fandoms and Fangirling

I admit it. I am a hopeless fangirl. Don't know what that is? Let me show you. It looks something like this:
Just imagine that she's flailing those hands a little and you'll have it about right.
Just in case the picture doesn't help, here's a definition from Urban Dictionary:
fangirl, n.
1. (derogatory) a female fan, obsessed with something (or someone) to a frightening or sickening degree. Often considered ditzy, annoying and shallow.
2. (playful, good-natured) less extreme, a female fan who can laugh at their own passion for their particular interest (or even obsession).
I definitely fall into the second category. Actually, very few people fall into the first category for the simple fact that the level of devotion required to fall into that category is very time-consuming. Usually it's the province of high school and college age girls who have both the time necessary to obsess over something to that degree and the immaturity level. Category 1 is something that most fans grow out of once they reach adulthood and its various responsibilities and demands. It is generally accepted that to be firmly rooted in category 1 as an adult is rather unhealthy. Some folks are and they usually wind up making a career of it (like professional gossip columnists, entertainment writers, etc.), but that's not me. I'm sure some folks might think I'm closer to category 1, the reality is that life just doesn't allow me to be too obsessed.

So what makes a fangirl? Well, in short, a fandom. Confused? Here's another definition courtesy of the folks at Urban Dictionary:
fandom, n. 
The community that surrounds a tv show/movie/book etc. Fanfiction writers, artists, poets, and cosplayers are all members of that fandom. Fandoms often consist of message boards, livejournal communities, and people.
Fandom may also refer to the object of a fangirl's obsession. In my case, this is science fiction, fantasy, certain book series, and television shows. Fandoms often refer to their individual fangirls (and boys) by a collective nickname that is specific to that fandom. For example, fans who love the Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling (either the books or the movies) often refer to themselves as Potterheads. One of the more famous examples of this are the Trekkies (fans who love anything in the Star Trek universe).

As for me, I'm a Whovian (Doctor Who), Potterhead (Harry Potter), Trekkie (Star Trek), Browncoat (Firefly and Serenity), Sherlockian (BBC's Sherlock), and general all-around Anglophile (lover of all things British). I also have a love for Star Wars and the Tolkien sagas of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.
See what I mean? I think it must be the thespian in me... *sheepish look*
Some of these fandoms, I have grown up loving and were passed on to me by my dad. The others, I have found via friends and, more recently, the internet. My love of all things British began thanks to a tea party hosted by a co-worker of my mom's when I was a little girl. My Brit-love extends to a number of British comedies or "Britcoms" that I used to watch on Saturday nights on our local PBS affiliate. As an adult, I've discovered the joys of the Masterpiece series, Call the Midwife, and of course, my favourite British period drama, Downton Abbey.

Period costumes, lush sets, scandal, intrigue, romance, social class tension, witty banter, and all set in the gorgeous English countryside during the early 20th century -- how could I *not* be a fan?
You might think with such an extensive list of fandoms that I wouldn't have time for anything but TV watching or book reading, but it's not too hard. For the most part, I indulge in these fun escapes when I have an hour or so in the evening or if I know I'm going to have a lot of time on my hands, like a road trip or sitting waiting somewhere. I often keep a favourite book in the car or sometimes watch something on my phone via Netflix. Gray enjoys Doctor Who and occasionally Star Trek, so he and I sometimes watch those on a weekend night as a sort of date night in. Stuff that isn't available on Netflix or in book form is usually stuff that is on regular TV and gets recorded on our DVR to be watched at a later point. It may sound like a lot of work, but it's not really and for me, these fandoms are a source of fun diversion for me and help relieve a bit of stress at the end of the day. One of the fun things about being a fangirl is that it is an easy way to make friends and even bond with my family because the love of a particular fandom is a shared interest.

See what I mean about shared interest? Some fans even go to conventions and do what is called cosplay (costume play) where they dress up like their favourite characters. This is a bunch of Whovians at San Diego's ComicCon. Fun, no?
The other thing I love about my various fandoms is thinking about the stories and what they're trying to say that isn't readily apparent. I like asking questions about the characters' motives, the underlying themes, the direction the particular story arc may (or may not) be taking, and the myths that underpin everything. There are interesting ideas to be found and often, universal truths about human nature and the ways we relate to each other, to the world around us, and even our relationship (or lack thereof) with God. Sometimes, these ideas even lead to new insights about myself, my faith, or the world around me.

I also use my love of these various series of books and TV shows. How? Well, for one, I am sometimes inspired by them to create something of my own -- a poem, a story, or, more recently, a blog post. In a more practical way, many of the metaphors, quotes, and ideas found in these series have helped me to express in a concrete way what I'm feeling when talking with Gray or Pendragon about my struggles with depression. Sometimes too, in expressing these things about my struggles, I discover new insights that are useful in helping me understand my illness or take a tiny step forward in my journey toward recovery.

The Dowager Countess of Grantham always has the best one-liners and some of the most sage advice in the series. Plus, she is played by the amazing Dame Maggie Smith who is one of my favourite actresses.
So now that you know a little more about fangirls and fandoms, tell me what you love. Do you swoon over period dramas or get giddy about the latest sci-fi or fantasy novel? What is your fandom?

15 comments:

  1. Love Downton and specifically the Dowager Countess Grantham.. I agree she has the best one liners ever! I recently started watching a show on Netflix called Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries it is set in Australia in the 20's which due to Downton has become one of my favorite eras. Thanks for sharing.. this was a fun post to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think one of my favourite Dowager Countess quotes is, "What is a weekend?" LOL! I love the banter between her and Cousin Isobel or her and the Grantham girls' Grandmama from America. I'll have to look for Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries! Sounds like exactly my cup of tea. :)

      Delete
  2. I can definitely relate to this! I fell in love with Doctor Who after my friend showed it to me, I found Sherlock whilst channel flipping, Star Trek, Star Wars and Lord of the Rings were introduced to me via my dad, I found Big Bang Theory because of Pinterest, and I don't even remember how I found Downton Abbey. I'm typically a pretty straight-faced person who doesn't like to get overly excited about anything, but start talking about one of these and prepare to be amazed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll admit I can be a rather easily excited person, but it's a whole different level of excitement when talking about one of these shows or books. Gray and I love Big Bang Theory too -- "Penny?" LOL!

      Delete
  3. Did you watch the show about the guy who tells them all the rules the actors have to abide by to be aristocrats - crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did watch it! It was fascinating to me to see all the things that they have to do (or not do) in order to play their parts and keep them authentic to the era.

      Delete
  4. When is Sherlock coming back? I absolutely love that series. My husband and I watch them so quickly. Well the last season came out when our son was pretty new so we watched them while he slept. Not sure when we would be able to watch them now. I used to watch downton, but it got to soap oprah-iey for me. I sort of want to watch the new season, but haven't started yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last I heard, the new season is slated for airing in early 2016. :( It's one of the things that kinda makes me nuts about that show. They normally take a couple of years between seasons and each season is only about three or four episodes long. It's insanely good, but very frustrating for us fans! We DVR the episodes and watch them after our girls are in bed for the night. We usually have a little date night in and indulge in some kind of sweet dessert and/or a glass of wine while we enjoy those. Doctor Who is another we watch like that too. I totally agree that Downton can be a little soapy at times, but I think that's part of the drama. The fifth season started three weeks ago and so far, it's pretty good. I'm interested to see where they're going with a couple of the characters. I just hope they don't stray too far into modernism with the relationships. I saw something in the first episode that kinda made me wonder, but that may have just been me being a bit sensitive to that kind of thing. Give it a look and see what you think!

      Delete
  5. I was a fangirl of the show Lost back in the day. I REALLY love Call the Midwife, that's not really a fandom thing though. My husband likes The Walking Dead and we both watch Sherlock. I think it's neat to get into a group like that. It builds community, and like you said, you get to really dig deep into the story and dissect the characters. I love that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to get into Lost once it came to Netflix, but just couldn't quite get interested in it. I only watched the first episode though and I'm told that it takes a few episodes to really get into it. I might give it another look later when I have time. Call the Midwife is AMAZING :) I fell in love with it from the first episode. I often cry when watching it. I'll be interested to see where they take it with the new season when it starts this spring, given the way the season ended last year. I have so many friends who love The Walking Dead, but something about it disturbed me so much that I turned it off in the middle of the first episode. I just wasn't prepared for how dark it is and I've had more than enough darkness without adding to it.

      Delete
  6. We do enjoy Masterpiece Theatre and a lot of British tv - some of it is a bit risque and not nice! My hubs is a major Whovian, has watched it from its beginning! Love DA, can't stand Cora but I enjoy all the other characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Masterpiece is so much fun! I agree that some Brit TV can be a bit risque. You have to be discerning and I have had to occasionally stop watching something because it was too much for me. Gray grew up watching Doctor Who, so he's responsible for my love of it! We've watched all the episodes since the reboot in 2005 and a few of the "classic" episodes too. I am SO with you on the "can't stand Cora" thing! She's such a throwaway character and almost never has anything interesting going on with her. You just don't really care that much about her. Plus she's got that weird affected sounding speech pattern. I know the actress who plays her is an American, but it kinda sounds like she's trying to play an American trying to sound British but not quite. It's just weird sounding and although I've gotten used to it now, it used to kind of grate on my nerves in the first couple of seasons. I think my favourite characters outside of the Dowager Countess are Bates, Anna, Carson, Branson, and Cousin Isobel. Not a fan of Lady Rose and I could totally do without Ivy the kitchen maid. I sort of go back and forth between like and dislike of Lady Mary. Right now, I'm not terribly fond of her. She's sort of reverting to the way she was before Matthew.

      Delete
  7. I always say I don't watch a lot of TV (it doesn't seem like I do lol) but man, there are a lot of shows I love! Definitely Dr. Who, Downton Abbey, Sherlock ... I just got done watching Criminal Minds on Netflix, now I need a new series lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! If you're like me, you don't watch tons of TV on a consistent basis, but there are still several things you enjoy so it looks like a lot more on paper! If you like Criminal Minds, you might enjoy Castle (and really, with Nathan Fillion, how could you not? He's kinda adorable!). If you need/want another sci-fi series, check out Firefly. It also stars Nathan Fillion but it's just a really, really good series. I mean, how could you not love a series one of the lead characters says, "I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." :) It's a little bawdy at times, but it's one of those things that adds to the charm of the series overall. Also, I really, really love the theme song -- "Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."

      Delete
  8. You indeed are a fan girl (but def fall into that second category) I don't think I've ever been a fangirl. Wait maybe I have...boy bands when I was in high school; New Kids on the Block.

    ReplyDelete