Wednesday, February 11, 2015

A Song for Wednesday

This is a song that I've listened to countless times in the last couple of years as I've struggled through the darkness of depression. I absolutely LOVE Michael Card's music and this song is another example of his fine musicianship and amazing way with words. I'll be honest, it is a song that I haven't been able to fully embrace. I have listened to it and cried tears of anger, of longing, and tears that came from a place of deep, soul-crushing pain. I have started to listen to it on several occasions and it was so painful that I had to turn it off after the first few bars. I have listened to it and tried desperately to draw closer to God through the words of this song, but have felt almost nothing for my efforts. This song is so achingly beautiful and is such a perfect expression of what I have felt for so, so, so long and expresses some of the deepest desires of my heart. I told my big brother Chez this evening that I long for the day when I am able to hear this song, cry out, "Yes, Lord!" and to do as it says in the song and lift up my sorrows. I want to be able to hear it and truly enter into a spirit of worship where I am giving all of myself to Him, drawing close to Him, and feeling Him minister to the woundedness in me.

I'm not a huge fan of inspirational videos and as such, only watched the first few frames of it. I mainly picked this for the fact that it has the best audio of the song on YouTube. I invite you to click play, turn up your volume, close your eyes, and listen to this gorgeous song. May it bring you comfort, peace, and hope in the One who is able to keep you from falling and present you faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy (Jude 1:24).


14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know, right? I love his music so much! If you're not familiar with him, I highly recommend his album Poiema. He writes the words, composes the music, and plays a LOT of the instruments on his albums. I've only seen him in concert once, but it was one of those nights that you don't soon forget.

      Delete
  2. So beautiful! These words meet most everyone on their level of whatever needs they may have! I can see how, at times, it would be hard for you to hear/listen to these words. Thank you for sharing such an inspirational piece of music, and the words of your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I totally agree! I think it's a song that really speaks to the heart of the woundedness of our human condition. We all have sorrows and pain and He is the Great Physician and Healer. Thank you for your sweet comment, Barbara!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. That is absolutely exactly how I felt the first time I heard this song.

      Delete
  4. I have never heard that song before now. Wow, so powerful. I am believing with you for the prayer that you said when you talked about crying out "yes Lord". Jesus knows your hurt and pain. He will meet you where you are at. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words of encouragement, Natalie. Perhaps one day this song will speak to me in a new and hopeful way.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing your heart here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing. Music speaks to the deepest place in our hearts and pokes around and finds the wounds that still need healing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true! I find sometimes that certain artists are particularly good at creating music that does just that and Michael Card is definitely one of them. I saw him in concert about 15 years or so ago and went home feeling like I had been ministered to by the Holy Spirit. He has a real gift for words and is crazy talented as a musician. I'm a little biased toward his stuff too because he has a lot of Celtic influences and that appeals to me.

      Delete
  7. Michael Card! Yes!! Up there with Andrew Peterson in my book of musicians who know how to speak straight to my soul. My dad is a huge fan and has done a lot of Card covers for church. But I don't remember ever hearing this song. I can so hear my daddy's voice in this; I'm going to have to pass it along to him. Thanks for your transparency in this post. You're right; it's not an easy concept to embrace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I don't think I know Andrew Peterson! I'll have to look him up. I didn't know who Michael Card was until I went to one of his concerts (a friend gave me free tickets) and I was hooked from the first song. He came to my university and did a concert and the afternoon of it, I was in our campus bookstore to get a snack and started talking to the guy in front of me in line. We chatted as we walked across campus toward the music building and then all of a sudden, I realized that he looked familiar. I said, "This is going to sound crazy, but you look kinda like this Christian singer I saw in concert once. You don't happen to know Michael Card by any chance?" His face split into a huge grin and he held out his hand to shake mine and said, "That's me." I was dumbstruck. Here I was chatting away to this singer that I really admired and had no clue. Then I took a look at where we were on campus and realized we were standing outside the backstage entrance to the auditorium (which was adjacent to the school of music building where I was headed). I did recover my voice and was able to tell him finally how much I love his music and what an impact it had had on me. Very very cool moment!

      Delete