Monday, February 9, 2015

Where Do I Go From Here?

Lately when I sit down to write in this blog, I find that I just can't make the words come. I'm not entirely sure why that is. It isn't that there aren't things in my head or ideas that I have. I have actually started quite a few posts which have gone unfinished because I just can't make them come together. I feel like I sit here staring at the screen quite a lot and trying to make sense of things.

Blink. Blink. Blink.

The cursor sort of sits there and mocks me -- or at least it feels that way. What to say?

Even the wonderful prompts that Kate Motaung does on Fridays for Five Minute Friday which normally provide me with more than five minutes worth of stuff to say haven't quite been able to pull the words out of me. Over the last week, I've had my head sort of buried in fundraising for my walk in June, but even with that, I've just not had any sort of motivation or wherewithal to make something worth reading come out of my fingertips. So today I'm just trying to write something. I don't know if this will help loosen the knot in my brain that seems to have formed in the last two or three weeks and is stymieing my ability to write, but I know if I continue to not write much of anything that I am going to stop altogether. That's how it happens with my handwritten journals and diaries. I go along at first at a good pace and then I hit a wall and I never quite get back to it.

Since I seem to be experiencing a bit of writer's block at present, I am going to dispense with themed posts for the most part (unless I happen to be so inspired to do one at some point) and just try to write something each day. Even if it's something little like an inspirational quote, a scripture verse, or a link to someone else's amazing blog entry (Chez, you might get a few hits coming your way!). What this means is that my blog may not make much sense for a while. It will probably lack focus -- not that it's ever had one central theme -- but I'll be writing more often and that's kind of the point of a blog, isn't it? One of my two words for 2015 was "write" and the other was "follow" and I want to really continue exploring both of those. I'm doing my best to explore "follow" where it leads me, but it's much harder to explore "write" if I'm not writing.

So here I am. Writing straight from the heart and trying to just get something on the page without much editing or thinking about it (that's part of the problem with my myriad of drafts that don't come together -- too much thinking). I guess that's all for now. Y'all have a good day!

4 comments:

  1. I think your idea is brilliant. I've had that writer's block before. Sometimes it's ok to just let the blog sit for a bit. It's ok--it's yours.....do with it as you like! The words will come...and when they do....we'll be ready to read them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had writers block before too. Sometimes I think we just need to write. Good for you for getting some words on the page!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally get you!! I did a post a while back where I outlined a plan for my blog. It hasn't been perfect, but it's nice to have some guidance for myself. I'm taking a little break from that outline this week to write about love and marriage. :) But I know what you mean. Keep writing! Sometimes that's what brings out the words that mean the most.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) Good for you for writing through the 'block'. Keep on writing!

    ReplyDelete