Thursday, September 18, 2014

Why I am Catholic (in 200 words or less)

1. The Holy Eucharist - a fount of graces, never ending source of love, the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Jesus Christ so Truly Present that I may hold Him in my hands and receive Him under my unworthy roof

2. The fact that I can go to church anywhere in the world and immediately feel at home, even if I don't speak the language. The scriptures and responses are the same and Jesus is always, ALWAYS there.



3. Apostolic succession unbroken and dating back to the first pope, St. Peter who was given authority over the Church by Jesus Himself.

4. The rich beauty and history of the faith present in the depth of 2000 years of theological and philosophical thought.

5. Mysticism, contemplation, monasticism, chant, unceasing prayer (through the liturgy of the hours and most importantly the celebration of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass), and the various modes of spirituality (Dominican, Jesuit, Franciscan, Benedictine, etc) and spiritual practices.

6. The fact that Catholicism is a both-and religion instead of an either-or. Faith and works. The Bible and Sacred Tradition. Extraordinary and ordinary.

7. Catholic schools, hospitals, charitable organizations, and missionaries working to help others in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment