Saturday, November 1, 2014

Introducing A New Series

As I got toward the end of the Write 31 Days Challenge that ended yesterday, I started thinking about what I want to do going forward with this blog. Several ideas came to mind and of those, I think I will definitely be pursuing a couple of them in the future, but in the more immediate present, I want to continue the momentum of daily blogging (I did make a commitment to blog daily back in September -- see more about that here) and do another series.

One of the things in the title of my blog is a reference to my faith. I have been a Christian for almost my entire life, but am an adult convert to Catholicism. I came to the Catholic faith after much prayer and discernment and it is a central part of my identity and informs everything in the way I live my life from the way I raise my children to my politics to my relationship with my husband to the way I view the world and society around me. I am always happy to share what I believe (and why I believe it) with others and as such, am always reading and studying my faith. 1 Peter 3:15 says, in part, the following: "...Always be prepared to make a defense to any one who calls you to account for the hope that is in you..." which is a good thing to consider for any Christian -- Catholic or not.

Keeping this in mind, my new series for the month of November is going to be one on.......


......the Saints. What I want to do is provide an overview of what Catholics believe regarding the saints, some biographies of common saints, and a little bit about the process of becoming a saint. I may also write some on other things that are tangentially related to the subject or post some links to articles or other blogs I have found interesting and informative on the subject.

Given that today, November 1st, is the Feast of All Saints, the title of this new series is going to be called "For All the Saints" which is the first line of one of my favourite hymns about the saints:

"For all the saints, who from their labours rest
Who thee, by faith, before the world confessed
Thy Name, O Jesus be forever blessed
Alleluia! Alleluia!"

I know that not all the folks who have been reading my blog of late are Catholic, so this may not immediately be of any interest to you, but I sincerely hope you'll read along anyway. You may have always wondered why Catholics talk about saints or what the big deal about them is or whether or not we really worship them or not (Spoiler: The answer is a very emphatic "no"). I'll try to make it a fun series with interesting trivia, maybe a song or two, and some good information too.

Do you have a question about the saints or Catholic beliefs regarding them?
Do you have a favourite saint or one you'd like to know more about?

Let me know in the comments below and I'll try to answer your questions and maybe do a feature on a saint of your choice! Also, just so you know, this series will probably not run every day, but about 4-5 days a week. In between, I'll be posting other stuff. Just look for one of the hashtags in the title -- #ForAlltheSaints or #TFASCMSaints!

1 comment:

  1. A great idea! I love that hymn too. We sang it in worship this morning. I look forward to learning more about the saints. I learned some at college since I went to a Catholic University but still don't know a lot about the Catholic saints!

    ReplyDelete