****
Outside my window... It's rather overcast today as it's been really rainy in the last 24 hours and the rain isn't quite gone. Not weather related, but the last couple of days have seen some random flocks of birds descend into our yard. Lots of twittering and tweeting sounds from the trees and bushes. Yesterday it was a really neat sound mixed with the gently falling rain.
Highlights from the week...
- This week I shared my heart and my struggles with major depression and suicidal thinking with a much wider audience. I broke my 25+ years of silence by posting about it publicly on this blog and then sharing it with a very wide audience. I invited others to share my post and the response was overwhelming. I have no idea how many people have shared it, but based on Facebook's stats, as of the writing of this, it has reached 1,538 people. I am so humbled that it has made such an impact and I hope it will continue to do so.
- Unfortunately, Gray got my upper respiratory bug. He started feeling poorly toward the weekend and wound up going to the urgent care clinic on Sunday to get checked. Thanks to some medications and decent rest, I'm happy to report that he's doing better as of the writing of this, although still feeling a bit on the tired side.
- Our littlest bear, GB, is another story. As I type this, she is snuggled up next to me on the couch and feels a touch on the warm side. She went to the doctor yesterday because I suspected she was not well and it turns out she has an ear infection. She got some antibiotics, but I have a feeling it's going to be another day before she's feeling more like herself. Poor little dear!
- M2 and AB had Monday off from school and it also happened to be the day before my birthday, so we (along with GB) met up with my mom for breakfast and a day of shopping and fun together.
- Got a few new items for my wardrobe which was a very good thing as it's been looking pretty ragged and thin of late. My favourite is a really fun retro sort of swing dress that is a baby pink with tiny black polka dots and a matching black lace trim that is attached to the skirt lining and peeks out from beneath the skirt hem. It's so cute! I also got a few tops -- one of which is this really pretty teal blue floral print that looks fabulous with black slacks or jeans.
- My new tea maker from Teavana and the tea I bought to go with it -- YUM! This was my birthday present to myself and I can already tell it's going to be something I use almost daily.
This week I am thankful for...
- The overwhelmingly positive response to my Breaking My Silence post about my struggles with major depression and suicidal thinking. I cannot express how grateful I am that so many people shared this with others and the way this post has already reached a number of people. My prayer is that God will continue to use it to help others.
- Modern medicine -- yet again. The older I get, I think the more thankful for this I am. I include in this not only diagnostics and pharmaceutical medicines, but also mental health care.
- Email -- for allowing me a way to keep in touch with certain people and also as a means of setting up appointments, meetings, and fun times.
- The vast expanse of the internet. I received some more detailed information this week about exactly where the Out of the Darkness Overnight walk will start in Boston and the hotel that we get a discount on if we stay there. I was instantly able to look up the location, the hotel, and a whole host of other information on the area. I've also been using it lately to check rates for flights and do comparisons between originating cities and different carriers.
- The Voxer app -- something I really enjoy using to chat with my friends Jae and T.
- The ladies in my online NFP group who have been such good friends to me for almost a decade. I love all these ladies for so many reasons and feel so blessed to be part of this community and even more blessed to have met quite a few of them in person. I can't wait for the next retreat in 2016!!! :)
- Five Minute Friday -- both the #fmfparty on Twitter on Thursday nights and the community as a whole -- lots of inspiration, support, and just great folks all the way around.
Praying for...
- For all those who are participating in the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention's Out of the Darkness Overnight Walks in Dallas and Boston -- for their fundraising efforts, training, and the people who will benefit from their support for this cause. I am so blessed to be a part of the Boston walk this June!
- My friend P's husband B who has been in and out of the hospital with sepsis and a badly infected leg. She has been through the mill with hospitals not giving good care and has been dealing with her hubby's illness on top of caring for her three kids.
- My friend A's son L who had an accident at home recently and is now having some scary medical issues.
- My friend Jae and her needs
- My bestie Sif and her new situation and rejoicing with her over WonderBoy's recent achievements.
- For M2 as she continues to prepare for her First Holy Communion and in thanksgiving for her joy over receiving the Sacrament of Reconciliation for the first time (and again a second time this past weekend at her request!).
- For Gray's and GB's health as they continue to recover from their illnesses.
- For all those who are being persecuted for their faith, especially for those who are facing certain death for their beliefs.
- For a good and holy Lent for all those who are in the midst of it and preparing for Easter and in particular, for those who are preparing to be received into the Catholic faith at the Easter Vigil.
- Today's daily Mass readings -- Deuteronomy 4:1, 5-9; Psalm 147; Matthew 5:17-19
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J. K. Rowling -- continuing my re-read
- The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig
- Called to Communion and Open Line podcasts on the EWTN Radio app
- Gently falling rain outside
- My baby girl's soft snores
I am learning... to be totally open and honest about my struggles with depression and suicidal thinking and that it's okay to do so.
My favourite quote of the week...
"I must say a word about fear. It is life's only true opponent. Only fear can defeat life. It is a clever, treacherous adversary, how well I know. It has no decency, respects no law or convention, shows no mercy. It goes for your weakest spot, which it finds with unnerving ease. It begins in your mind, always...so you must fight hard to express it. You must fight hard to shine the light of words upon it. Because if you don't, if your fear becomes a wordless darkness that you avoid, perhaps even manage to forget, you open yourself to further attacks of fear because you never truly fought the opponent who defeated you."
-- from Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Picture of the week...
This is a picture of my new tea maker. Well, this isn't my actual tea maker, but a picture I found online of it. I bought it at our local Teavana for my birthday along with some Blueberry Kona Pop tea (SO tasty iced!). I've used it twice so far and absolutely love it. It makes tea making dead simple. Just add tea and your choice of sweetner to the mug and pour hot/boiling water over it. Allow time to steep and when it's reached the desired strength, sit it atop your favourite cup or glass and the tea streams out of the bottom of the brew mug. I foresee a lot more tea in my future!
See you next week!!

No comments:
Post a Comment