Note: This post is my weekly contribution to the Five Minute Friday community that is hosted by Kate Motaung on her blog Heading Home. Click here
for more information about Five Minute Friday and how you can get
involved! To link up with all the other entries for today's prompt word,
click here.
****
I've been planning this for a good year. It's not a wedding or the birth of a child. It's something altogether different. I suppose planning might be stretching it just a little bit. Perhaps it's more accurate to say that I've been discerning it for a year. I finally made my decision in February and I am so glad I did.
You see, I've been planning to take a walk.
It's a walk of 16-18 miles, done all during the night -- a walk through the darkness. In fact, it is called the Out of the Darkness Overnight walk. It's to raise funds for suicide prevention and awareness about this important cause. It's to give a voice to those who are struggling and to those who are grieving. It's to lend support and care to those who need it -- be they suicidal or bereaved over someone they have lost because of suicide. It is for my own healing.
You see, for me, the struggle is real. I've been to the edge. I've been afraid to ask for help. I've been afraid to admit how much I wanted to die. I've been afraid to admit that I was struggling with debilitating depression in the first place. It's not just a reality that i've struggled, but a recent reality -- like in the last two years. Over the course of the last two years I have been to this darkest of places many, many times. Thankfully, I have had the support of family, friends, and my therapist to bring me back to a place where death was not so much, to quote Hamlet, "a consummation devoutly to be wished."
![]() |
| David Tennant as Hamlet -- Go watch the famous soliloquy here. He is amazing. |
Some are not so well supported.
Some are even more afraid than I.
Some who struggle don't know where to turn for help even if they get over their fears.
That is why I am planning to take this walk.
For those who have yet to break their silence. For those who need a helping hand. For me as I journey my own road of recovery.
So my plan is this -- to walk through the night and into the dawn of a new day.
-- to continue to raise funds for my participation in this walk
(please click the previous sentence if you'd like to donate -- any amount is so helpful and so very appreciated!)
-- to do my utmost to get stronger through activities like this walk alongside my therapy and other resources
![]() |
| Join the Five Minute Friday fun and link up your post at Kate Motaung's blog! |



Our God is one who makes the darkness light. What a brave post and plan - I too know the depths of that thought and grateful for the miracle that is hope, joy, peace and long suffering through the Holy spirit. Keep walking FMF friend and keep writing. Blessings!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your kind comment. I am still waiting for Him to meet me in the darkness and lead me out of it.
DeleteLove!! So proud of you friend! I'm going to be cheering all the way from ND! I lost a college friend to suicide so not only are you walking for me but for my friend too!
ReplyDeleteThank you, my friend! Vox me the name of your friend and I'll add him/her to my list. I'm going to put the names on my luminary that will be at the end of the walk and I'll be praying for those people and their families as I walk. I'll add your mom to the list too as I'm walking not only to remember those lost but in honour of those who are struggling with mental illness. Rikert did that for me last year when he walked. I am so glad that I'll get to walk *with* him this year.
DeleteSuch an post as this takes great courage to do so. Breaking the silence can be one of the hardest most difficult things to do in ones life. I've known a couple people who's darkness left them without the hope they desperately needed during those times. Walk, Sister, walk-Those faint whispers need a voice!
ReplyDeleteIt is hard, but it is so necessary. I have been silent about my struggle with the darkness for over 25 years, but very recently decided that it was time to break my silence (I actually wrote about that if you click the link above that says "break their silence"). I feel very much like I'm being called to advocate and part of advocating is admitting my own struggles. Not an easy thing to do, but there is freedom in it. I have been there where the darkness left me without hope. In fact, in the interest of honesty, I still struggle with hopelessness quite a lot -- so much so that I hesitate to use the word hope about anything at all. It's hard, but it's part of my journey. Thank you for your comment and visiting!
DeleteDear Momma, I'm glad you have been able to keep walking! That is so lovely. God has big plans for your and your family. Depression is dark and SO VERY HARD. I've been there. I am the mom of two boys, and 3-5 years ago I was walking in the dark. I, too, had a very supportive network of people. Most importantly the Holy Spirit within me was not kept quiet. I know He interceded for me. I am a suicide survivor, and I am a FMF friend and fellow mom. Keep walking...keep talking...life is real...life is hard. Love, Jenn p.s. I see you're fully funded! Whoo hoo!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry that you have also experienced the darkness of depression. It is indeed so very hard. It has been my companion for over 25 years, not constantly, but in episodes. I am currently going through a two year long episode of it and one that is the most intense and severe that I've ever experienced. It is sometimes SO hard and the pain is SO real that I have been tempted to just give up. As I look at our youngest making herself dizzy, being silly in our living room, I am glad that I haven't given up. Thank you for your kind comments! I am fully funded as far as the goal I had to reach to participate, but I am still trying to raise funds, so please feel free to donate if you are so led. God bless you!
DeleteWith every step of this journey, this walk, the Light shines brighter for someone. God bless you, sister. #FMF
ReplyDeleteThank you Susan!
DeleteWhat a great thing to plan for! I'm so glad you're doing it.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Janice! I have a lot of planning yet to do. I've raised the required funds to participate (although I want to raise more), but I've still got to book my flight and hotel too. I've been doing a lot of comparing prices and trying to look at our budget too. Plus, since I'm hoping to fly up with my friend Rikert (who is doing the walk again), I'm trying to coordinate with him too. Lots to do!
Delete