Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Day Fifteen: Poetry, Music, and Yummies!

Given the intensity of my story and the fact that I've been working on it almost non-stop for two weeks, I've decided to take a break from it for today. Instead, I wanted to share three things with you that are personal but not related to depression. Hope you enjoy!


First, a poem I wrote several months ago:
Bedtime

Wee hours of the morning
And I finally lay down.
The familiar comfort of our bed
And your warmth within easy reach.
Sinking beneath the covers
My head nestles its weight
On the pillow under my cheek
All is quiet and calm
Below our roof
While little girls and you dream deep
Safe from the cold and snow outside,
I wonder at this peacefulness
And almost perfect serenity.
I dare not close my eyes
And disturb this rare moment
With my brain's determination
To lead me to places I do not want to go.
I fight against the muscle heaviness
And slow confusion
Of somnolence fast approaching.
Not yet! I cry out from within.
Not now! I'm not ready to let this happen
To allow this stillness and hushèd instant
Slip from my tenuous grasp.
Oh, but I am powerless to resist the physical
That frail part of my flesh that must bow
To rest and a chance for my body to repair.
So with a bit more struggle,
I give up my hold on wakefulness
To release my will to the whims of my mind
And see what dreams may come.

*****
Second, a song that I first encountered at the end of the recent Snow White adaptation Mirror Mirror. It has such a fun Bollywood feel and makes me want to get up and belly dance all around my living room. In fact, that's exactly what I did the first time I saw the movie. I was at home in my pajamas doing hip drops and shoulder shimmies all over the place. Hope it brings a little smile to your face. Just below the embedded video, I'm including links for some other songs that I have on my "Happy" playlist. Enjoy!
 



Doctor Worm by They Might Be Giants - The video is a little odd, but I love this song!
Odds Are by Barenaked Ladies - Great video and a great reminder when life gets you down
Weapon of Choice by Fatboy Slim - Christopher Walken dancing + great beat = fun song and video!
Doctor Who theme song by Murray Gold - One of my favourite shows and this short theme song never fails to make my Whovian heart flutter with excitement!

****

Third, one of my favourite fall recipes and one that I am missing big time this fall as our oven decided to quit on us a couple of months ago and we haven't had enough money to buy a replacement. Without further ado, I give you.....Pumpkin Muffins!! These are ridiculously good and you'll be hard pressed to stop at just one!

Pumpkin Muffins

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup pumpkin
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted 
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. 
  2. Mix dry ingredients (except chocolate chips) together and set aside. 
  3. In a large bowl, beat eggs. Stir in pumpkin and then melted butter into the eggs. 
  4. Add chocolate chips into the bowl with the dry ingredients mixture and gently fold so that all of the chips have a light coating of the dry mixture on them (this keeps them from sinking to the bottom of your muffin tins). 
  5. Slowly add the dry mixture with the chocolate chips into the wet mixture and stir until just combined. Do not over mix. 
  6. Spoon into greased or lined muffin tins and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350.  
  7. For mini-muffins, substitute mini chocolate chips and bake for 15-18 minutes at 350.   
This recipe yields approximately 10-12 regular sized muffins depending on how full you fill your muffin tins. I recommend doubling the recipe. It's easy enough to do and you'll be glad you did when the first 10-12 muffins vanish before you can grab one for yourself. These muffins also freeze pretty well and can be easily thawed out and heated in the microwave.

7 comments:

  1. Love seeing into your little corner of light! Such a sweet poem. And I would be so lost without my oven... as my blog indicates. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! I have been missing my oven SO much! Not having it at this time of year is especially tragic because between now and January 1st, we have four birthdays (hubby and the girls -- I'm the oddball who is a spring birthday), our anniversary, three major holidays, two Holy Days of Obligation, and a number of saints' feast days too. And I can't make my pumpkin muffins! Hopefully we can use our tax refund to purchase a new oven. I'd actually like one that's a tiny bit bigger on the inside and that has a few extra bells and whistles, although at this point, I'd just love one that works!

      Delete
  2. Fun post. That video was so much fun and brought a smile to my face! Thanks!! I'll have to try those pumpkin muffins too. I have a pumpkin muffin recipe that is my fave too. Loved the poem too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pumpkin muffins are one of my favourite things about fall! :) I'm glad you liked the video. It is such a fun song!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I wonder at this peacefulness
    And almost perfect serenity.
    I dare not close my eyes
    And disturb this rare moment"

    Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fellow Whovian! I like you more and more all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, I'm such a fangirl sometimes that it's a little ridiculous! :) Gray grew up watching DW in repeats on PBS. I'm a newer Whovian as I got into it during David Tennant's first or second season. It didn't take much and I was hooked! Have you seen the new series with Peter Capaldi?

      Delete