****Note: This entry contains very intense mentions of suicide
(non-graphic). Please read with caution if you are triggered by these
subjects.
Out of the nothingness, I hear a sound.
It sounds strange, muted, and far away, but familiar, like birds chirping. As soon as that thought goes through my head, my brain clicks a little and a dim realization penetrates that the sound I heard is my cell phone's text message notification sound. Instinctively, I reach for the last place I recall laying it and my fingers close around the hard outer case. As I glance at the screen, I open my messages and see that it is from Sif.
Out of the nothingness, I hear a sound.
It sounds strange, muted, and far away, but familiar, like birds chirping. As soon as that thought goes through my head, my brain clicks a little and a dim realization penetrates that the sound I heard is my cell phone's text message notification sound. Instinctively, I reach for the last place I recall laying it and my fingers close around the hard outer case. As I glance at the screen, I open my messages and see that it is from Sif.
My eyes move
silently over the message and as I read, I can hear Sif's voice in my head as if she is sitting there beside me, talking to me face to face. "Please don't hate me! I only
JUST saw your message. I accidentally left my phone on the charger in
the truck and forgot about it last night. I know we were going to
swim today, but it's looking kind of rainy. Do you want to do it
another day or bring the girls over and chance it? I love you!"
As I finish reading her message, I look up and reality snaps back into sharp focus. I am not alone in the house. I have children. My children are here. I have a husband. Oh God, what happened to me? Oh God! Oh God! Oh God! Oh God, please forgive me for what I was about to do. M2 is standing there, Wii balance board beneath her feet, attempting to do something that looks like a lunge exercise. AB is sitting in one of the little plastic play chairs, face screwed up in concentration as she colours in her colouring book. GB is still asleep in her crib, blissfully unaware of anything. These realizations slam through my consciousness, shaking the last vestiges of the dark, delirious, suicidal fever from my brain.My breaths are coming faster and faster and my heart is beating so rapidly that I feel as though it will explode out of my chest. I am shaking all over and with trembling fingers, I reply to Sif's message with just seven words.
As I finish reading her message, I look up and reality snaps back into sharp focus. I am not alone in the house. I have children. My children are here. I have a husband. Oh God, what happened to me? Oh God! Oh God! Oh God! Oh God, please forgive me for what I was about to do. M2 is standing there, Wii balance board beneath her feet, attempting to do something that looks like a lunge exercise. AB is sitting in one of the little plastic play chairs, face screwed up in concentration as she colours in her colouring book. GB is still asleep in her crib, blissfully unaware of anything. These realizations slam through my consciousness, shaking the last vestiges of the dark, delirious, suicidal fever from my brain.My breaths are coming faster and faster and my heart is beating so rapidly that I feel as though it will explode out of my chest. I am shaking all over and with trembling fingers, I reply to Sif's message with just seven words.
"Yes. Please. I am losing my mind."
Her response is swift and concerned, "Oh honey. Y'all come on
over. Raffie and I will meet you at the pool. I love you!"
I
reply back, still shaking and barely able to breathe: "I need to
get our stuff together and get the girls dressed in their suits.
We'll leave in about 10-15. I'll let you know when we're on our way."
Something in the writing of this last message calms some of the
shaking, but I am still in shock and as I finally stand up, I
suddenly feel weak and shaky and wonder if my legs will support my
weight. I gingerly take a slow step forward toward the stairs and
find that despite how weak I feel, they still work. After telling the
older girls that I am going upstairs for a moment, I make my way up
the steps, trying to take deeper breaths as I do. By the time I reach
our bedroom, my legs feel a little stronger and my breathing is more
even. I look at my phone's clock and realise that it is late
afternoon. As we are leaving to go to Sif's so late in the day, I decide that I need to text or
call Gray so that he will know where we are. I feel suddenly a little
weak and lean across our bed on my stomach, my phone clutched in my hands like a life preserver.
With a shock, I realise that I can't just pretend that this didn't happen and that I need to tell him. Oh, but I am scared. Terrified. I open my text messages and although I feel like sobbing, the tears are still nowhere to be found. I am full of remorse over something that didn't happen and suddenly feel the need to apologise to Gray for what I have almost done. My hands shake all over again and I bite my lower lip as I tap the letters, "I am so sorry. I am so, so sorry. Please forgive me." I hit the send button and bury my face in the bedsheets.
With a shock, I realise that I can't just pretend that this didn't happen and that I need to tell him. Oh, but I am scared. Terrified. I open my text messages and although I feel like sobbing, the tears are still nowhere to be found. I am full of remorse over something that didn't happen and suddenly feel the need to apologise to Gray for what I have almost done. My hands shake all over again and I bite my lower lip as I tap the letters, "I am so sorry. I am so, so sorry. Please forgive me." I hit the send button and bury my face in the bedsheets.
A moment later, my phone starts ringing. When I answer, Gray's voice is full of concern as he asks, "What's going on, hon?" I manage to tell him the barest outline of what almost happened and that after I get myself and the girls dressed and ready, we are headed to Sif's to swim so they can play and because I don't feel okay to be alone. I hear him sigh. He is worried. He asks if I want him to come home after work or head to Sif's. I know immediately that I need him there too. I need his strength. I need his arms around me, holding me and reassuring me that somehow this will get better. I tell him to meet us there. Before we hang up, he asks if I am sure I am okay to drive to Sif's apartment. I know that somehow I will be, despite how weak I feel and how shaken I am by what happened. I tell him that I will be okay, we tell each other "I love you" and end the call.
I open the gate and Sif spots me as we
descend the steps to the pool deck. She meets me at the bottom of the
steps, takes the bags from me and puts them beside her deck chair.
Then she holds out her arms and says, "Give me that baby and
you, get in the water." I hand GB off to Sif, strip down to my
bathing suit, and wade into the water. In an instant, I plunge
beneath the surface, legs kicking and arms pushing the water out of
my way, propelling me forward. I am determined, focused, and swim from
one end of the pool to the other in a single
breath. I burst out of the water at the opposite end, lungs on fire,
heart pounding, and every muscle in my body determined to go limp
with weakness. I cling to the side of the pool, gasping loudly for
air and drowning in emotion. I have never felt such an intense
physical need to cry. The agony of this need is so overwhelming that
my throat constricts and I feel heat around my eyes as though any
moment they may issue forth the tears that have eluded me for so
long. Before I am aware of it, I am audibly sobbing, but there are no
tears with it, just my whimpering and shaking shoulders as I bury my
face in my hands in despair.
I have survived the siren song of
suicide. Just barely, but I have survived.
That last sentence is powerful! Yes, you have! Thanks again for sharing your story!
ReplyDeleteThank you for being so sweet to continue to read my ramblings. I hadn't planned to say that, but it just popped into my mind as I remembered the way I was sort of hanging off the side of the pool, half in and half out of the water, kinda like a mermaid or siren on a rock. Since sirens are more sinister, it seemed a good image to use.
DeleteOh, what anguish I read in your "story"; your words are amazingly vivid in my mind and I wish I could reach out and give you a great big hug...I am crying - for YOU, my friend! Thank you for sharing; for your words WILL be helpful to those who read them, even if just to understand what you are going through. Thank for opening you most-inner thoughts and feelings to us...I am here along with you. May God be with you and your family!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much. I am so humbled by the outpouring of support and kind comments I have received throughout this project. God bless and keep you and yours too!
DeletePowerful story! Excellent writing. Thanks for being so open and sharing. God's blessings to you.
ReplyDeleteThank you for coming by and reading and for your kind words. God bless you too!
DeleteOh wow. I had an episode like that twice. It was the scariest thing I have ever experienced. My brother committed suicide and so for me there is a very real knowledge of what is on the other side. No matter how many times I imagine driving my car off the road or whatever... I know no matter how miserable I am I CAN NOT put my family through that agony. I remember the church packed with people who would have done anything to help him if he had just told one of us what he had been planning to do.
ReplyDeleteI am so very sorry you've experienced something like this. I wish I could say that it's only happened twice to me. This was the first time I ever came so close to it, but sadly, not the last. I think this episode shook me up in a way that some of the others haven't though because I was so deeply entrenched in the darkness in my mind that when I made my final decision and was about to get up and go do it, I literally could not see my children even though my oldest two were right there in the room and playing/colouring right before my eyes. It was a momentary break with reality and later when I realised what had happened, it scared me worse than just about anything that's ever happened to me. It still scares me. I am very sorry to hear about your brother. I've never lost someone close to me to suicide, but I know people who have. I do have suicide in my family tree though. My great-grandfather committed suicide about ten or so years before I was born. I think it really does make such a difference to know that there are people who would agonise so deeply if you died. It's not a panacea, but it does help. ((((hugs)))) Thank you so much for reading and for all your kind comments!
DeleteWOW. What a story. I want to hear more. I want to hear how this is going for you...
ReplyDeleteThank you, Faith! That's kind of the idea with all of this. I wanted to help people understand a bit of what it is like to go through a major depressive episode and to still be going through it. I don't know if I'm going to get through the entirety of my story during this month of 31 Days, but I'm going to do my best to tell the bulk of it. As of this month (Oct 2014), this particular episode has been ongoing for 21 months. Now I need to get my butt in gear and write Day 10! :)
Delete