****
I decide that I will leave at the same time I did today in order to go to Mass one more time and beg God's forgiveness. I am not certain that He will forgive me for this. I know that I cannot receive absolution for sins I've yet to commit, but I have to at least tell Him that I am sorry for what I am about to do. It may sound crazy to some people, but I feel torn in half over this. On the one hand, this pain and anguish is so great that I cannot conceive of continuing to endure it, but on the other hand, I know it is wrong in every sense of the word to throw away my life like this and leave those I love in grief and misery over my death. The intensity of these two feelings is pulling at me so hard from both directions that I almost feel as though I will physically rip straight down the center of my body. It is an unbearable and excruciating sensation. For a brief moment as I am preparing to go to bed, I open our sharp knife drawer in the kitchen and ponder both ending it right then and a lesser form of relief that involves self-harm. With great effort and shaking hands, I close the drawer, walk out of the kitchen, and upstairs to bed. I set my alarm, put my earbuds in my ears, and drift off to sleep listening to Mother Angelica and the rest of the Poor Clare nuns praying the Joyful Mysteries of the Rosary.
****
"Okay, hon. Have a good day. I love you," he replies almost automatically, not fully awake. I squeeze his hand back and am silent for a few moments before I respond.
"I love you too, sweetheart..." I reply, my voice thick with emotion. He stirs a bit more, removes his CPAP mask and turns over to face me in the bed. When he does, I kiss him on the mouth and linger a bit longer than our normal goodbye kiss. My heart is aching, but after a moment or so, I tear myself away and with one final look over my shoulder, I leave. I think briefly about going to kiss my girls, but I don't think I can bear to look at them. The feelings of last night are still present and already threatening to split me in two again. This time I cannot use sleep as a medicine to make these warring factions within my spirit go away. It is a special kind of torture to feel so divided and so powerless to do anything about either situation. I cannot stay and I cannot go. I cannot endure and I cannot stop enduring it. If I look at my precious girls, I will certainly come completely apart and wind up in some mental ward somewhere which is a fate worse than death.
****
(Click here for part 2: A Leap of Faith)
Sending a big hug xxxxx
ReplyDeleteAnother excruciatingly beautiful post. You so powerfully describe your feelings. I pray you are well.
ReplyDeleteHeartbreaking. I can't wait to read tomorrow's post!
ReplyDeleteMy friend, my heart too is breaking for and with you. Again another powerful post.
ReplyDeletePraying for you!
ReplyDelete