Thursday, October 9, 2014

Day Nine: Of Water, Wine, and Siren Songs (part 3a)

****Note: This entry contains very intense mentions of suicide (non-graphic). Please read with caution if you are triggered by these subjects.

It is hard to believe that it is the end of June, and yet, it seems to have gone on forever. It is so hot and humid outside, much too hot to go out and play unless there is a swimming pool or sprinkler to keep you cool. The older girls are restless and have been all week. They miss the activity of playing with their cousin E-beth and have been wanting to go visit "Aunt" Sif and swim with her at the pool at her apartment complex. Frankly, I could do with a nice long visit with my best friend too. Sif and I have been texting and calling each other all week. She and her son Raffie have been swimming a lot lately and we have a standing invitation to come over. We could have gone earlier in this week, but it takes a huge amount of effort to get all four of us ready to go over there and my energy has been seriously lacking since Balinda and E-beth left last Saturday morning.

It is Friday morning though and I have been promising the girls all week long, so I fire off a text to Sif, asking her about a swimming date this afternoon. I don't expect an immediate text back as she is likely busy with Raffie, so I set it aside, open my laptop and reach for my cup of coffee. The steaming hot, sweet, creamy drink warms me and for the briefest of moments, the darkness that has been my companion recedes a little. Then the moment evaporates and the numb ache grips me all over again. It was all I could do to drag myself out of bed this morning. I haven't been sleeping or really eating much at all. My weight has dropped almost 40 pounds in the last three and a half months and most days, if I eat at all, it's one small meal in the evening. I stopped counting calories with my phone app about three weeks ago just before our trip to the beach. I realised that my daily intake was so low (less than 500 calories most days) that if I kept focusing on it, I might just calorie count myself into an eating disorder. Pendragon told me it was a wise decision and pointed out that I had plenty to manage without adding that on top of it. I wouldn't even be weighing myself anymore if I had not noticed such a dramatic change in the way my clothes are fitting these days. I have long worn the same plus size clothes, but now they are much looser than they used to be. I realised this one day when I had to visit the ladies room rather urgently and forgot that I was wearing blue jeans. I shoved my pants down and realized when I went to pull them back up that I had not even needed to unbutton or unzip them. My face looks thinner in the mirror and my skin more pale and wan, as though I am wasting away with some illness. But then I guess I am. This depressive episode has been so intense that I am seeing Pendragon weekly (instead of every other week or once a month) and have been since late April; however I have already seen him this week and must wait until Tuesday for my next appointment. It is Friday and Tuesday seems like forever away.

I turn on my computer and pull up my email and Facebook. There is nothing new or interesting in any of it, so I make my way over to a support website for people who are struggling with mental illness like I am. It has a place for leaving messages for others, discussing topics related to mental illness, and reaching out for support and help. There is also a chat feature that allows you to talk with other people in real time. I open the chat window and log in. There are not many people here this morning and I know none of them. They say hello and then go back to their conversation. I feel suddenly even more alone than before and the darkness in my mind goes darker. I can't do this anymore. This hurts so much. I want to die. It would be so easy to just fade away. I could take those Xanax with that vodka based homemade vanilla extract and I know where an X-acto blade is. Two central nervous system depressants and a backup just to be sure. Yes. That will work....but I can't do this. I can't. But I can't bear this either. Oh God, please help me. Please. Please. If I could just cry...just release all this madness, escape from these dark thoughts and all the anguish I feel. Please. I glance up at the image of the Divine Mercy above our sofa and the crucifix above the mantle and the pain is so heavy and thick, that these things that normally bring comfort and peace elicit no feelings at all. Nothing. There is just nothing.

After some time, my older girls are clamouring for lunch, so I put the baby in her high chair and make their lunch. My hands automatically go through the motions of washing grapes, opening yogurt cups and string cheese packages, pouring fish shaped cheesy crackers onto plates, and filling lidded cups with water, but I am miles away in my mind. I automatically reply ("Mmhmm," "Okay,") to their innocent chatter without really hearing it. They settle into their chairs and out of habit, I lead the blessing, but it may as well be gibberish for the sense that it makes to me. There is no comfort or peace in this familiar ritual and the words that accompany it.

As they start on their lunch, I pour myself a diet soda and check the location of the homemade extract, pills, and the blade. I don't know when I will do it, but the plan is crystalising in my head. Even as it does, I look at my three beautiful daughters and my heart wrenches. How can I do this to them? To Gray? Poor Gray...oh Gray, please forgive me for this. Please forgive me for leaving you. I am so so sorry. By all rights, with the emotions that are flooding me as I think of saying goodbye and leaving all those I love most behind to grieve and deal with this mess I have made, I ought to be crying so hard that I am collapsed in a heap in the middle of the kitchen floor. Instead, I am in such anguish and distress, with no way to let go of it that I feel an actual physical ache in my neck, shoulders and chest. My arms and legs feel like lead. I consider calling Pendragon, but dismiss this idea because it will involve talking to a myriad of people before leaving a message for him and then having to wait for him to call me back. I don't have the energy necessary to jump through all those hoops. I need this to end now. I can't bear it for the rest of the day.

(Click here for the continuation of this entry in part 3b.)

14 comments:

  1. You are so brave to share your story. So many have found a way out of depression (or are healing still) and aren't able to talk about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I don't know that I will ever find a way out of it completely unless God decides to miraculously heal me, but I can try to manage it. For me, writing this is one way I am seeking healing and better management of it. I'll admit though, it's very hard to write this stuff when you're still walking through it.

      Delete
  2. Bless you dear one. I don't want to talk out of place but I wonder if you'd be interested in trying a nutritional approach. If so you can just say yes and I"ll message you on FB. Or just say no and I won't mention it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading. I honestly don't know if a nutritional approach is something I am interested in or not. I have read about a number of nutritional approaches to depression and the vast majority of them seemed rather unlikely to help ameliorate my symptoms. That said, I wouldn't mind hearing what you have found helpful. Would you send me a message on FB so we can talk more about it?

      Delete
  3. I can so relate to not wanting to die, but not wanting to live. Hugs to you momma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Melissa. It is such a painful sort of feeling. You almost feel like you're being split down the middle. On the one hand, everything hurts so much and you can't fathom it ever getting better or even lessening to a bearable amount, but you don't really *want* to die because you have people you love and who love you and you know, if even in a very deeply hidden part of you, that it's wrong to end your life. I'm so sorry you've been to this dark place, but I am very glad you came through it. Hugs right back at you!

      Delete
  4. I'm also struggling like hell with depression, and I recognize these thoughts... although our journeys are a bit different. Like you, it seems that those around us - and what we might cause them - are what keeps us from ending all of the madness.

    Right now I'm still trying to find a way out. There are good days and there are bad, and I keep hoping that something will pull me out.

    Hugs to you, and I hope that you are able to find a way to make that pain leave.

    Best,
    Melissa
    http://www.measi.net/measiblog/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean. I've been struggling through a hellish depressive episode since...well...for the last 20 months. This entry is a memory from June of last year (2013). I'd like to say that it was the only low point like it, but truthfully, it hasn't been. I am so sorry that you've been struggling, Melissa. You will definitely be in my prayers and thoughts. Lots of hugs to you too!

      Delete
  5. you are being so real & raw... praying for you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Again my friend such powerful words. Thank you for sharing your story. But promise me if it gets to be too much as you write, that you will step back and take a break. Your health is important! But I also do believe and can already see how you blessed so many that are experiencing this same illness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got a deal, my friend. I continue to see Pendragon every week and am talking a lot with him about this experience, so he's helping me process it and my feelings about it. He's also reading along too as he is able. After writing these last three days, I've been considering a breath or two. I have taken today to just read at other blogs, chat with friends, catch up on Facebook, and mentally plan which direction I want to go with my next few entries. I'm actually thinking that I'm going to switch up the way I'm presenting the story a little bit so as not to wear out my readers and myself. Thank you so much for all your sweet encouragement and prayers and comments. I am so grateful for you!

      Delete
  7. Yes, how brave you are to open up so with your journey! I have spent this afternoon reading from Day One, and am almost up to Day 9 - but felt I needed to stop and comment. I pray these beautiful words you share are helpful to you and others. I am on my own journey, but not of depression; so I can not say "I know how you feel". I HAVE had an instance in my life when I could not shed tears that were forming yet the lump in my throat stopped them. I pray as you continue on this journey, they will fall when needed and you will feel the release...Prayers and Hugs to you, my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments, Barbara. It is so hard when you can't cry, isn't it? I'll let you in on a secret -- my lack of tears eventually ended. I'm going to be writing about how that happened very soon. God bless you!

      Delete