After over a month of not writing
anything, the last thing I thought I'd be blogging about is grace. To
be honest, in this dark sojourn of the last two and a half years, I
have shied away from writing about the subject. I talk about it
occasionally with my sweet hubby Gray and the subject comes up quite
a lot with my dear friend and “big brother” Chez, but I just
can't seem to make myself write about it.
I believe in grace. Actually, I believe
that it is God's gift of grace which saves us. I have had many
encounters in my life with grace, but something about the deep heavy
darkness of so long a trek through depression's valley has soured my
desire to share much of anything with regard to faith, much less, grace. To be honest,
I've been so angry at God and have had my faith shaken so profoundly,
that there were times I wanted nothing to do with Him or the practice
of faith at all. I even considered for a time turning my back on my
faith altogether.
But I didn't.
Despite my anger, despite
my tears, despite how excruciatingly painful it has been to continue
on in my faith, I have done so. I have sung with my parish choir. I
have gone to Mass each Sunday. I have continued to read books about
my faith and learn more about my faith. I have prayed, although I'll
admit that this was not something I did easily, often, or well. I
have continued to pursue the sacraments of confession, the anointing
of the sick, and reception of the Holy Eucharist. I have prayed with
my family before bedtime. I have read scripture and listened attentively to scripture being proclaimed.
But why? Why keep pursuing things that
were causing me such great pain? Why subject myself to such anguish
and misery?
Grace.
That's absolutely all it could be.
You see, there are two kinds of grace.
There is salvific grace – that is, the kind of grace which saves us
and transforms us into the new creatures we are meant to be. It is
this grace which helps us become holier in the face of temptation and
keeps us on the narrow path which leads to eternal life. There is
also actual grace – that is the kind of grace that God gives us
which nudges us to do good and avoid evil. Think of actual grace as
those little day-to-day impulses we feel that sort of move us in one direction
or another as we walk through life. Obviously, grace always moves us
toward good.
What has moved me and kept me moving
forward in faith when it was the absolute last thing I wanted to do
was both salvific grace and actual grace. The salvific grace of my
baptism which infused my soul with God's transformative power was at
work in me even though I could not feel it or sense it. It was that
grace which kept me coming back again and again to Mass, the
sacraments, prayer, scripture, and those things which are good for my
soul's holiness. It was actual grace which has nudged me to listen
and take the advice of my husband, my therapist, my spiritual
director Fr. B, and my dear friends Chez and Rikert. They have all
given me good advice regarding faith and feelings and pursuing my
faith through all this adversity.
What inspired me to write about this
was my friend Tara's guest post on her blog. A fellow blogger had
written about how God's grace can make even the most bitter days
sweet and can transform our darkness into light. I have to admit that
the sour taste that has so permeated my journey with depression and
my walk with God of late rose up into my mouth, because I have had so
many bitter days which have been anything but sweet. In fact, the
sweetness of grace just isn't something I've tasted. The grace which
has been preached to me has tasted dry and acrid and anything but
sweet. It has been, I imagine, what grace tasted like to Job. It is a
kind of grace that has, at times, made me angry at God for continuing
to nudge me forward and continuing to draw my soul toward Him. It has
been a grace that, to be honest, I never wanted.
The thing about grace though is that
God doesn't always give us the grace we want. He gives us the grace
we need. The grace I wanted
was that sweet tasting grace that lets me feel God's presence and
nearness. I wanted that grace that makes me desire to pursue Him with
everything within me. What I got instead was the grace of an obedient
heart.
Somewhere
deep inside me, in a place that I never knew existed until these past
two and a half years, there is a heart that beats without my efforts.
It is a heart that is obedient to His will and His desires for me –
even when I am fiercely angry, drowning in despair, and wanting to
run away from everything and everyone, including God. I
never wanted this, not because obedience is a bad thing or because I am some kind of automaton that is devoid of free will and must obey no matter what (for I must still cooperate with this grace).
I say that I never wanted it, because for me, this grace comes packaged with a cross. Yes, I know that we're all called to carry our cross and yes, maybe I'm being a bit whiny about mine. The thing is, I've often heard people very nonchalantly talk about carrying your cross, but when it comes down to it and you are forced to confront the weight of your own, there's nothing nonchalant or easy about it. My cross is a fierce struggle with severe depression -- which is more than enough on its own -- but that cross is made all the heavier by my having lost all hope of ever getting better on top of it. Having both this grace of an obedient heart and an absolute hopelessness at the same time is like being pulled apart at the mind and soul in some kind of weird tug-of-war. It is a kind of intense suffering that I cannot adequately put into words.
I say that I never wanted it, because for me, this grace comes packaged with a cross. Yes, I know that we're all called to carry our cross and yes, maybe I'm being a bit whiny about mine. The thing is, I've often heard people very nonchalantly talk about carrying your cross, but when it comes down to it and you are forced to confront the weight of your own, there's nothing nonchalant or easy about it. My cross is a fierce struggle with severe depression -- which is more than enough on its own -- but that cross is made all the heavier by my having lost all hope of ever getting better on top of it. Having both this grace of an obedient heart and an absolute hopelessness at the same time is like being pulled apart at the mind and soul in some kind of weird tug-of-war. It is a kind of intense suffering that I cannot adequately put into words.
I have struggled for just over two and a half years with a very dark severe depression that has been made all the darker by hopelessness. This lack of hope has been so complete that for a very long time I completely excised it from my vocabulary. No saying things like, “I hope you feel better soon!” or “I hope you have a happy birthday!” It was so agonizing to even say that word aloud that I could hardly breathe when I managed to admit to Pendragon, “I feel hopeless.” This hopelessness has caused many a suicidal thought and has brought me to a place of despair so complete that I was actively planning and fully intending to end my life.
In
those moments of despondency when life seemed not worth living, the
thing that eventually brought me back from the edge and caused me to
choose life, was that grace of an obedient heart. Certainly, I had
help from others and even some direct divine intervention, but I know that that grace has been instrumental in saving me each time.
My friend Chez told me once that he was proud of me for cooperating with
God's grace in those moments. While I know that ultimately, I was the
one who decided to not end my life, I know that grace of obedience
played a part. I also have a sneaking suspicion that my beloved Gray
and both my friends Chez and Rikert possess this grace too.
For
that, and for my own grace of an obedient heart, I am grateful, if
not necessarily happy. And with that, I continue to move forward. In
the last few months I have had some fleeting moments when I thought I
felt a flicker of that peaceful grace of God's presence. And then it
is gone in a heartbeat. I suppose some would say that's progress. I
don't really know. I just know that the grace of obedience is still
there, beating away and propelling me to do things – like this blog
post – for which God has a reason as yet unrevealed to me. So I
take up my cross and follow the grace of this obedient heart.
The grace we want or the grace we need. Profound.
ReplyDeleteWow! So much truth and wisdom in this post and you wrote it so beautifully. I too have experienced this grace, the sweet and what doesn't seem sweet. I love what you said about God giving us the grace we need not want. I have battled depression before and lost a dear friend to it. I am thankful that you chose to partner with this grace and come through so that others can be encouraged by your testimony. There is hope, even when we can't see it.
ReplyDeleteSo much THIS friend: "So I take up my crowd and follow the grace of this obedient heart." I think these words will bless many. Proud of you friend!
ReplyDeleteThis is a beautiful post. Thank you for your transparency. So much truth spoken. Blessings to you.
ReplyDeleteI love this sweet reminder: "God's grace can make even the most bitter days sweet and can transform our darkness into light." Amen!!!
ReplyDeleteThis articulates what I find it difficult to express. I look around at mass sometimes and ask myself why do people keep coming. Grace.
ReplyDelete